Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Fragility of Life

I saw a man die yesterday.

I got off work around 2:15 and headed down Kennedy Drive to my apartment. As I got to the intersection of Kennedy and North I saw something unusual. A car had driven inexplicably into a pole on the right side of the road. Now, this intersection is a T, so the car had wrecked in someone's front lawn. As I got closer to the accident I realized it had JUST happened. Steam was still coming from the torn-apart engine. Several people were running toward the car. A man was simply pacing back and forth. I had been in the right lane, so I eventually got a chance to look inside as I drove by.

What I saw haunted me. What I saw was an image I will probably remember for the rest of my life.

At first I could make out one woman in the back seat behind the driver. Limped over and unconscious. As I was directly to the side though, I made out the driver and passenger. The passenger was another woman, head back and unconscious as well. As I got a good look at the driver, I immediately knew he was dead. I don't know how or why I knew, but I just knew. He was an old man with white hair. He was slumped over the steering column. Lifeless.

I was absolutely frightened. Should I stop and get out? I didn't know what I could do and several people were already there. Instead, I called 911 and reported the accident.

As I continued to think about it, I wondered how in the world the accident could have possibly occurred. People don't just drive off the road in the middle of the day on a busy street. I figured the man had to have suffered some sort of medical issue, perhaps a heart attack. Something that would force him to lose control of the vehicle. I tried to imagine that split second of terror that the two women must have felt before impact, when they realized their dad/husband was no longer in control. Then I thought of how precious life is. How precious my family and friends are and continue to be to me.

You are guaranteed nothing beyond this exact moment. Refuse to live a life that does not honor that fact.

I love you all very deeply.

No comments: