Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Don Miller




When Don Miller released "Blue Like Jazz" way back in 2003, there is no way he could have envisioned the phenomenon it would become. Looking back now, we see that "Blue Like Jazz" became somewhat of a cultural icon, a rallying cry for an entire generation of young Christians. The book reflected much of the underlying tension this new "emerging" class of Christians has felt in inheriting our unique faith. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if you polled the "favorite books" section of any 20-29 year old Christian's Facebook page, over half would list "Blue Like Jazz" or another Don Miller book as being foundational in their spiritual growth.

So what has he been up to since then? That is where we begin "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." The incredible success of BLJ led a team of filmmakers (well, two) to desire to adapt the book into a film. Thus, Don begins the often difficult task of looking back at his life and deciding where the true "story" exists. Really, this book is more about analyzing the general foundational aspects of story and narrative than Don's specific screenwriting journey. Along the way, Don falls in love, hikes the Inca trail, meets some amazing people, and bikes across America.

My response to the book is rather mixed. On one hand, I deeply admire and appreciate Don's vulnerability in writing. We see a part of Don's life and his character that most writers would be very hesitant to unleash. Further, I believe that narrative and story are key aspects of our faith journeys and thus really appreciate Don's emphasis on that and breaking down what our stories mean and how to live out a "good" story.

On the other hand, I feel that aspects of the book come off as disingenuous. The people Don meets and prop up as heroes are mostly rich and white. Yes, they do some great things with their money and their time, but I just don't sense that these people live their lives in the "real world" that you and I do. Perhaps this is more a reflection of where I am and what I am passionate about than an actual unbiased critique of the book. Throughout, though, I couldn't help but feel that we were being taken for a ride through the white Christian American subculture. There are parts of that specific story that are beneficial, but I just cannot identify with it. It seems too much of a fairy-tale world inhabited by jet-setting non-profit CEO's who live in suburban mansions.

Additionally, the book is extremely scattered. Throughout, as Don moved from random story to random story, I kept wondering "Where is he going with this?" And then the book just ended. Did the movie get made? Was the character of Don in the movie anything like the Don of real life? What about Don's new relationship with his previously-absent father? This type of structure works well in a book of essays such as "Blue Like Jazz," but it just doesn't translate well to this type of story telling.

In the end, it really does pain me to offer these critical comments about Don Miller. As I read his thoughts and enter his mind, I find myself in familiar territory. He and I have some of the same thoughts on our faith and on life in general. The journey he takes us on, though, just doesn't seem authentic, and that hurts. The moral of the book is to live your life as a good story, and while I do agree with that, I don't think that a good story has to involve huge trips to South America and riding your bike across the country. Those stories are at least in part, self-gratifying. A good story can instead start right now with where you are, and that's a beautiful thing.

No comments: